||CHERYL RIANA REITAN
WORK EXPERIENCE AND PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATION
My many years working in community relations, public relations, and marketing have given me a reputation as a dynamic leader, an entertaining speaker, a talented writer, and a discerning media judge. I turn ideas into action.
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA DULUTH
Duluth, Minn., 1996 - present
- Associate Director of External Affairs
- Editor of University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) publications and alumni magazine.
- Editor of the UMD hompage and member of the UMD web team, which is responsible for all UMD web pages.
- Lead staff for Communicatorís Council, made up of 25 UMD marketing professionals.
- Works closely with the Chancellor and Vice Chancellorís to implement UMDís marketing strategies.
- Host to university visitors including: Former Vice President Walter Mondale, Governor Jesse Ventura, Architect Cesar Pelli, and other prominent personalities.
- Liaison to University of Minnesota University Relations department. Committee member for the University of Minnesota Centennial, the Minnesota State Capitol Centennial, and the Minnesota State Sesquicentennial.
- Contributing writer for national magazines. Conference speaker.
COLLEGE OF ST. SCHOLASTICA, Duluth, Minn., 1987 - 1996
- Associate Director of Public Relations, and publications editor
- Edited and produced the alumni magazine and all college publications.
- Hosted Garrison Keillor, Lester M. Crystal of the MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour, and other prominent personalities.
TV ACCESS, Glendale Heights, Ill., 1982 - present
- Board of Directors member of a national television public service announcement production and distribution company. Editorial staff, strategic planning and consulting for $1,500,000-plus business.
ZENITH CITY ARTS Duluth, Minn., 1984 -1992
Business Manager, Art Director, Editor and Writer. Staff for a monthly art and entertainment newspaper.
Writer and Editor Thunder of Freedom: Black Leadership and the Transformation of 1960s Mississippi.
by Sue Sojourner with Cheryl Reitan by University Press of Kentucky,January 2013. Civil Rights and the Struggle for Black Equality in the Twentieth Century series.
About Thunder of Freedom | Facebook | Order the Book
- Feature writer. Wrote newspaper and magazine articles published in the Duluth News Tribune, the University of Minnesota M magazine, the University of Minnesota homepage, and mnartists.org, among others. 1987 – present.
- Paragon Awards: National Council of Marketing and Public Relations, 2003. Council for Advancement and Support of Education, Case VI, 2005, 2004, 2003.
- American Advertising Federation Duluth/Superior. Served as president, vice-president, treasurer, education chair, diversity chair, and public service committee chair for this advertising and marketing professional organization. Silver Medal winner 2010. 1986 Ė present.
Macalester College, St. Paul, Minnesota, B.A. 1975
University of Minnesota, M.A. English, 1997
University of Minnesota, M.L.S. Liberal Studies, 2003